Safety & Security
Milltown Public Schools is committed to the highest level of safety and security for students and staff.
- A long-standing partnership with a consultant firm specializing in school emergency preparedness provides expert oversight Adherence with NJDOE guidance on K-12 risk mitigation ensures that all recommendations are being considered and measures are implemented to protect our children at school.
- Consultation includes on-site security assessments of facilities, safety procedures, training and crisis planning, intervention and response.
- Recommendations are reviewed in partnership with local law enforcement, school teams and the Board of Education.
School Safety Specialists
- Milltown has three certified school safety specialists in the district. Responsibilities of the School Safety Specialist include supervising and providing oversight for all school safety and security personnel; ensuring safety and security policies and procedures are in compliance with state laws and regulations; and providing the necessary training and resources to school district staff in matters relating to school safety and security.
- The School Safety Specialist will also serve as the district’s liaison with local law enforcement, as well as national, state and community agencies and organizations, in matters of school safety and security.
- School safety teams are involved with monthly drills and table top exercises in order to be prepared for a variety of scenarios related to potential threats.
- Each school has a school threat assessment team comprised of administrators, teachers, counselors and nurses. The team is trained to identify and respond to students presenting at-risk behaviors in order to intervene with appropriate services and support for that student.
- The school crisis teams are also involved with monthly drills and table top exercises in order to be prepared for a variety of scenarios related to potential threats.
- Security cameras provide a full scope of the outside campus and inside of each school building.
- All staff and middle school students are required to wear their ID badges.
- We have a trained safety officer on staff who patrols the hallways and outside campus.
- Each of our schools have an enclosed, separate vestibule with safety film, preventing direct entrance to the areas that students occupy.
- All doors remain locked with badge entrance, and staff members are stationed at every door used by students at arrival and dismissal as well as key areas outside the school.
- Every door inside the school is equipped with a double-locking mechanism that serves as a barricade to intruders.
Local Law Enforcement
- Our local police officers also routinely walk through our hallways and are on site for arrival, dismissal and various events.
- We have an emergency alert system that allows us to directly notify the local police department of an incident as well as an app that provides a way to communicate directly with staff during a crisis.
- All key staff carry walkie-talkie radios, and we have a rooftop radio signal extender.
- Emergency action alerts such as the need to lockdown, evacuate, or shelter in place from a mobile device or computer.
- Share the location of danger or where help is needed
- Missing and unaccounted-for persons are displayed in real-time.
- See who is safe and where they are located.